- Leadership and People is the first Procurement element or module and must contain the Procurement leadership vision and associated design, strategies, education and tools that will continuously deliver customer and stakeholder value.
- Your Leadership & People Procurement Dimension should typically contain the following elements; Procurement Organization Structure and relationships to other key functions, Procurement Job Descriptions/Categories/Responsibilities, Career & Succession Plans, Quarterly Focus & Smart Goals, Six Dimensions Education & Testing, QHSE, CSM, Regulatory, 6 σ / Lean Training, Business Knowledge & Strategy Awareness, Values/Results Grid, Customer/Stakeholder/Supplier Communication Pack and Broadbanding.
- Once the Six Dimensions are in place within the Procurement Function, a decisive competitive advantage can be delivered through communicating and gaining commitment to the Culture of Procurement Leadership, effective spend management, development of procurement strategies, roll out of policies & processes and recruitment of a cross functional team led by Procurement to deliver the results through effective management of the supply side and base.
- The fundamental basis of Procurement leadership is about getting your organisation, colleagues and suppliers to work towards the common goal of creating value for your customers based on mutually beneficial co-operation and outcomes.
- The Culture of Procurement Leadership White Paper provides essential information on how to create a shared Procurement vision and hence improve future personal and business Procurement value.
- A well known Change Management formula;
C = (DVP) – X
can be applied to any Procurement improvement opportunity where;
C=Procurement Change, D=Dissatisfaction with the current state, V=Future Procurement Vision, P=Process to get there less X=Cost (if any) of achieving the Vision.
- Clearly, you and/or your business leadership have to be dissatisfied with the procurement status quo and open minded in evaluating current leadership, culture and future opportunities.
- Inevitably, there will be barriers to change - such as too busy with the current workload, firefighting hence not finding the time and resources to improve Procurement or invest in new technology.
- Defining a future vision, overcoming roadblocks, challenging sacred cows, creating winning strategies and thereby creating Procurement Expert Power are essential to the strategic long term success of both individuals and businesses.
- Click on the attachment to understand more about the Culture of Procurement Leadership.
DO YOU NEED PROCUREMENT LEADERSHIP AND PEOPLE TOOLS OR HELP?
Contact Paul Warrick today if you would like help or advice on any of the following...
- Key Leadership & People Success Factors
- Behaviour Types & Modes
- Spend Management & Procurement Categories
- Procurement Marketing Tips
- Essential Procurement Foundations
- Procurement Policy, Supplier Set Up & Strategy
- Procurement Key Measures
- Career Stages, People Management & Development Map
- Sample Job Descriptions
- Training in Negotiation Skills